Monday, November 12, 2012

SuperSmartNote

On page 76 of the book Stormbreaker, By Anthony Horiwitz, Alex is meeting with his soon-to-be boss Mr. Blunt. "Blunt glanced at Mrs. Jones… She unwrapped another peppermint and nodded back". When I read this I made an inference. I inferred that before the meeting Blunt and Mrs. Jones had conferred about bringing Alex to the team. I also thought since Mr. Blunt nodded in the first place that maybe he was thinking 'this is our guy'. This is a sense of the author hinting to what is going to happen in the future. If the reader did not make an inference it wouldn't be as clear.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your inference and discovery of foreshadowing used by Anthony Horowitz. There can be a lot of times when two adults can be conferring about someone or something, and they act like this too. I also like how you concluded that they were going to employ him in Mr. Blunt's company. Finally, I definitely agree with you that this would have been a lot more confusing if no inference had been made. Good job, Will!

    ReplyDelete